Edwin Fox Maritime Museum

The Edwin Fox Maritime Museum complex on the Picton waterfront separates its heritage experience into two distinct physical environments. Visitors first enter the land-based exhibition building at Dunbar Wharf to examine historical artefacts and structural records. Located completely separate and immediately next door, a permanent, custom-built dry dock safeguards the physical remnants of the 1853 teak ship hull, allowing visitors to walk around and underneath the vessel. As the world's oldest surviving wooden merchant sailing ship, the last wooden Crimean War transport, and the sole surviving Australian convict ship, the Category 1 landmark represents a priceless artifact of global maritime history.

Listen to Full Article

An Indian-Built Merchant Vessel

Shipwrights constructed the Edwin Fox hull in 1853 at Sulkeah on the River Hooghly in Calcutta, India, crafted for the East India trade.1 The vessel was built as a Teviotdale-type barque, carrying square sails on three masts and measuring 44.14 metres in length with a 747 gross tonnage.2 J. Reeves acquired the vessel for her maiden commercial voyage from Ceylon to London carrying tea, before ship-owner Duncan Dunbar purchased her at auction for his fleet.3 The choice of material allowed the hull to withstand decades of punishing service long after iron-fastened contemporaries had wasted away.4

The structural frame relies on heavy Burmese teak timbers, a wood naturally resistant to marine borers and tropical rot.5 Heavy hand-forged iron braces and two sister keelsons secure the central keel that runs the full length of the hull.6 Her original bow anchor windlass remains preserved alongside the vessel.7

Troop Transport, Convict Voyages, and Assisted Migration

Shortly after launch, the British government chartered the vessel to move military forces and supplies during the Crimean War, earning a net profit of eight thousand pounds.8 In 1858, the ship entered the penal transport system, conveying convicts to Fremantle, Western Australia under harsh onboard conditions.9 Over four long voyages, the vessel brought more than 750 settlers to shores across New Zealand.10

During her 1873 passage under the Vogel assisted immigration scheme, severe storms in the Bay of Biscay damaged the hull, forcing her into quarantine at Ripapa Island near Lyttelton.11 Following an East India Dock refit that added a water condenser, her 1874 voyage involved a collision with the schooner Amici and a quarantine stay at Matiu / Somes Island before Shaw, Savill and Company purchased her for two thousand five hundred pounds.12

When bringing 249 immigrants to Nelson in 1878, the shallow harbour bar required steam tenders to ferry families ashore.13 Her final 1880 immigration run under Captain Phease carried Christchurch Drainage Board pumping machinery and 800 tons of railway ironwork, returning to London loaded with 1,100 tonnes of grain.14

Freezer Hulk Conversion and Industrial Storage

The owners removed the ship's masts in 1883 to convert the hull into a static floating freezer hulk, completing modifications at Port Chalmers in 1885.15 Engineers installed steam-driven refrigeration machinery on the upper deck to store frozen lamb carcasses.16 The vessel operated at Port Chalmers and Picton Town Wharf for twelve years to meet export demands.17

In 1897, a steamer towed the hull to Picton, where engineers transferred her refrigeration plant into the new onshore freezing works.18 The ship served as accommodation for freezing works employees before converting to a coal hulk in 1905, storing fuel for steamships for over four decades.19

Operators eventually towed the worn frame into Shakespeare Bay during the 1960s, leaving the derelict hull stranded on the mudflats.20 The tidal waters and local mud preserved the heavy teak structure for decades until recovery efforts began.21

Salvage, Preserved Dry Dock, and Heritage Protection

In 1967, the Edwin Fox Restoration Society used gelignite to free the waterlogged hull from the mud.22 Community volunteers formed the Edwin Fox Society in 1985 to coordinate long-term preservation.23 Workers refloated the ship in 1986, towing her to a temporary berth near the Picton ferry terminal.24

The ship entered her permanent graving dock in 1999, where restoration workers scraped four tonnes of mussels from the bottom planking.25 Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga designated the hull a Category 1 Historic Place in December 1999.26 The custom-built dry dock and roofed enclosure facility opened in 2000.27

The dry dock facility isolates the teak keel from tidal degradation while allowing visitors full physical access around and underneath the frame.28 The adjacent shoreside museum building exhibits original maritime records, journals, and salvaged artefacts from her century of service.29

Sources

  1. Edwin Fox Maritime Museum Reference Document, supplied by Karen McLeod (Manager, Edwin Fox Maritime Museum) (Citations: 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, 15, 16, 17, 20, 23, 24, 27, 28)
  2. NZ History, "Edwin Fox", Gavin McLean, Manatū Taonga, Ministry for Culture and Heritage, nzhistory.govt.nz (Citations: 1, 2, 5, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29)
  3. Kōtuia ngā Kete, "Storm-tossed battler: The Edwin Fox", Heather Fryer, Te Papa Tongarewa, kotuia.org.nz (Citations: 11, 12, 13, 14, 29)
  4. Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga, "Edwin Fox Hull and Anchor Windlass", List No. 7450, heritage.org.nz (Citations: 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 19, 26)

Copyright, Disclaimers, and Acknowledgements

Acknowledgements and attribution: With sincere thanks to Karen McLeod, Manager of the Edwin Fox Maritime Museum, for supplying supplementary historical information and copy correction notes.

While every effort is made to maintain accurate and up-to-date citations, Goodwin & Associates/Tracing Marlborough accepts no responsibility for content changes, modifications, or removals on external third-party sources. If you identify inaccurate details, missing context, or information requiring correction, please contact us.

This site is currently in transition from being a draft site for the Marlborough Historical Society, to private ownership by Goodwin & Associates Limited. All media on this page should be assumed to be owned by or licensed to the Marlborough Historical Society/Marlborough Museum and Provincial Archives unless specific caption or disclaimer section notes state otherwise. These assets are being removed, but this will take some time. Goodwin & Associates does not claim ownership of any of these photo or video assets. Because unlabelled public domain material exists across our archives, please verify rights independently before reusing any image or asset. Additional details are available in our Terms and Conditions.