The Shift to Centralised Obstetric Care
Prior to the close of the First World War, maternal services throughout Blenheim were highly disjointed.1 A puerperal fever outbreak in 1916 prompted the Wairau Hospital Board to open an initial temporary maternity facility on Maxwell Road in December 1916.2
In September 1918, the board purchased the Holmdale homestead and five-and-a-half acres on Litchfield Street from James Bell for three thousand pounds to establish dedicated healthcare infrastructure.3
Tenders received in May 1919 for the new wing exceeded estimates, prompting the board to execute the additions using day labour under George Boyce.4
Post-war material shortages delayed completion until September 1920, bringing total construction costs to three thousand two hundred pounds.5
Decades of Provincial Healthcare Service
Although construction was still underway, patient operations transferred from Maxwell Road to Holmdale in December 1919.6 Minister for Public Health Hon. C. J. Parr officially opened the new maternity wing on 21 September 1920 alongside Acting-Chairman C. Nees and Deputy-Mayor W. D. Pike.7
Between January 1917 and August 1920, the combined facilities treated 365 obstetric cases.8
A dedicated Nurses Home was constructed on the grounds, catering for the staff who lived on the property.9
Father Sloane and the Bethsaida Trust
In 1971, Blenheim Catholic parish priest Father John Sloane and a local committee addressed the lack of localized welfare infrastructure for dependent elderly citizens.10 The Marlborough Hospital Board approved a long-term lease of the Nurses Home to the group for a peppercorn rental of two dollars per year.11
This agreement underpinned the formation of the Bethsaida Charitable Trust in 1973.12 Operating without government subsidies, local volunteers organised working bees and raised funds to retrofit the former staff quarters into a functional fifteen-bed rest home.13
Transition to Rest Home Operations
In 1988, the Holmdale land and buildings were offered to the Bethsaida Trust.14 The former maternity home was subsequently converted into a rest home facility to expand care for elderly residents.15