Marlborough High School (Original)

The establishment of Marlborough High School in 1900 marked a turning point for education in the province. Founded as Marlborough's first secondary school, the co-educational institution provided local families with higher learning in Blenheim. From its temporary beginnings in church hall premises to its long-standing Stephenson Street campus, the school expanded alongside the regional population, eventually evolving into Marlborough Boys' College and Marlborough Girls' College.

Listen to Full Article

Legislative Foundations and Opening

Community efforts to establish secondary education in Marlborough began as early as 1893 when the Marlborough Education Board petitioned the Lands Department for land endowments.1 Following a visit to Blenheim by the Premier, parliamentary support led to an initial £400 grant, and in February 1899 the Blenheim School Committee granted formal sanction under Section 55 of the Education Act 1877 to convert the local boys' school into a district high school.2 On 25 September 1899, the General Assembly passed The Marlborough High School Act 1899, constituting a Board of Governors from members of the Marlborough Education Board to oversee secular study, staff appointments, and an annual parliamentary appropriation.3

The school officially opened on the morning of 26 March 1900 during a ceremony held in the Church of the Nativity schoolroom, which served as temporary accommodation while permanent facilities were arranged.4 Board Chairman A. P. Seymour presided alongside inaugural Headmaster Dr Innes, who pledged to provide academic and civic education for young men and women in the district.5 The school opened with an initial roll of approximately twenty pupils, comprising six girls and eleven or twelve boys.6

In 1901, classes transferred to a purpose-built timber facility on Stephenson Street in central Blenheim.7 This single-storey structure featured classrooms along the south side of the front field and a central entrance crowned by a distinctive bell tower.8 The campus provided Marlborough youth with secondary instruction under a co-educational structure.9,10

Campus Evolution and Expansion

During the influenza outbreak of 1918 and 1919, the school temporarily closed its classrooms to operate as a secondary hospital containing dedicated influenza wards.11 The institution officially changed its name to Marlborough College in 1919, continuing its role as a regional co-educational centre.12

By the late 1920s, a two-storey eastern wing was constructed, which housed the regional intermediate school until Bohally Intermediate opened in 1956.13 The original timber building was replaced in the mid-1930s by a two-storey main block, and school swimming baths were completed in 1936 with changing rooms dedicated in memory of Hon. R. McCallum, who served on the board for forty years.14

Roll Growth, Division, and Future Co-Location

Post-war expansion saw the student roll reach a peak of 1,242 pupils, making Marlborough College the third largest secondary school in New Zealand.15 To address severe overcrowding, the local community voted to adopt single-sex secondary education.16

In 1963, Marlborough Girls' College opened on a new campus on the northern side of Blenheim, while the Stephenson Street site became Marlborough Boys' College.17 Following the Tomorrow's Schools administrative reforms in 1989, each college established an independent Board of Trustees.18 Under the Te Tātoru o Wairau initiative, plans were established to co-locate both colleges and Bohally Intermediate onto shared facilities, re-introducing integrated social and curricular opportunities in partnership with local iwi.19

Sources

  1. Marlborough Express, "THE MARLBOROUGH HIGH SCHOOL. OPENING CEREMONY (27 March 1900)", paperspast.natlib.govt.nz (Citations: 1, 4, 5, 6)
  2. Marlborough Express, "THE DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL (15 February 1899)", paperspast.natlib.govt.nz (Citation: 2)
  3. New Zealand General Assembly, "The Marlborough High School Act, 1899", nzlii.org (Citations: 3, 9)
  4. Marlborough Boys' College, "History", https://web.archive.org/web/20150615110449/http://www.mbc.school.nz/about/history (Citations: 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
  5. Education Gazette, "Infrastructure project lays foundations for change in Marlborough", gazette.education.govt.nz (Citation: 19)

Copyright, Disclaimers, and Acknowledgements

While every effort is made to maintain accurate and up-to-date citations, Goodwin & Associates/Tracing Marlborough accepts no responsibility for content changes, modifications, or removals on external third-party sources. If you identify inaccurate details, missing context, or information requiring correction, please contact us.

This site is currently in transition from being a draft site for the Marlborough Historical Society, to private ownership by Goodwin & Associates Limited. All media on this page should be assumed to be owned by or licensed to the Marlborough Historical Society/Marlborough Museum and Provincial Archives unless specific caption or disclaimer section notes state otherwise. These assets are being removed, but this will take some time. Goodwin & Associates does not claim ownership of any of these photo or video assets. Because unlabelled public domain material exists across our archives, please verify rights independently before reusing any image or asset. Additional details are available in our Terms and Conditions.