Early Beginnings and the Picton Link (1872–1880)
Construction of the railway began in 1872 under contractors Brogden and Sons to establish a line between Picton and Blenheim.1 In July 1872, the vessel Schielthallion arrived in Picton carrying 124 English labourers under two-year contracts at five shillings per day.2 Navvies carved a 1-in-37 gradient up Elevation Saddle and constructed a wooden viaduct across the Waitohi River.3 The first two steam engines assigned to the line were named Waitohi and Blenheim.4
The original line opened on 17 November 1875, with the inaugural station located on London Quay in Picton.5 Track layers terminated the rail 1.5 miles north of Blenheim on the bank of the Opawa River.6 In its first seven and a half months of operation, the service moved 15,400 passengers, 6,300 tons of goods, and 300 livestock.7 On 26 May 1880, workers finished the Opawa River bridge, extending the line directly into Blenheim.8
Route Selection, Land Reform, and Awatere Expansion (1874–1902)
Between 1874 and 1883, government surveys evaluated potential routes connecting Marlborough to Canterbury.9 Although planners initially proposed an inland line down the Wairau Valley, a Royal Commission determined that an eastern coastal route presented the fewest operational disadvantages.10 Large pastoral grazing estates in southern Marlborough hindered progress throughout the 1880s.11 Land reforms under the Liberal Government after 1891 subdivided these holdings, encouraging closer settlement and increasing demand for rail transit.12
The opening of the Picton Freezing Works in 1900 further increased freight demand from pastoral districts.13 To cross the Awatere River, engineers built a 325-metre double-deck road and rail bridge, completed in July 1901.14 Track layers extended the line from Riverlands to Seddon on 10 October 1902, sparking a four-fold growth in regional passenger and freight volumes over the following decade.15
Station infrastructure expanded alongside the growing network. A replacement Class B weatherboard station opened on Auckland Street in Picton on 11 March 1914, shifting operations away from the foreshore to handle increased traffic.16
Interruptions, Relief Camps, and Strategic Priority (1917–1942)
Outbreak of the First World War caused severe material and labour shortages, forcing construction south of Seddon to shut down in August 1917.17 Work resumed in 1928, only to be suspended again in October 1931 due to the Great Depression.18 When economic conditions improved in 1935, construction restarted with 1,000 workers housed across 23 public works camps along the Wharanui to Parnassus section.19
Although wartime shortages paused work again in 1941, the Cabinet ordered immediate resumption in 1942.20 Pacific naval threats made coastal shipping vulnerable, requiring a land route between Picton Harbour and southern military bases.21 Completing the line also conserved critical war supplies of petrol and rubber tyres by shifting long-distance haulage to rail.22
Coastal Engineering Feat and the Last Rail (1942–1945)
Tackling the steep Kaikōura coastline required building 21 tunnels, dozens of bridges, and extensive sea walls against ocean swells.23 At Kahautara, where loose rock fell from cliffs, workers constructed a protective barrel tunnel across a 60-metre gap between two existing tunnels.24 Crews fitted the physical final rail into place on Saturday, 22 September 1945, before consolidating ballast along the Kaikōura to Oaro section.25
On 15 December 1945, the inaugural 'Picton Express' completed the 348-kilometre journey from Christchurch to Picton, officially opening the South Island Main Trunk Railway.26 Crowds gathered at intermediate stops, while officials in Kaikōura unveiled a memorial plaque honouring eight men killed during construction.27 Connecting Picton Harbour directly to Canterbury, the completed link established an efficient freight and passenger corridor across the region.28