Pelorus Bridge Scenic Reserve

Set at the confluence of the Pelorus and Rai rivers, Pelorus Bridge Scenic Reserve preserves an ancient river-flat podocarp and beech forest alongside a vital historic crossing between Marlborough and Nelson. Originally known to Māori as Te Hoiere, the river supported traditional travel routes and the ancestral kāinga of Titi Raukawa prior to European arrival. The establishment of bridle tracks, gold rush traffic, and four generations of bridges turned the crossing into a transport corridor, while early conservation efforts in 1912 protected the unlogged forest from surrounding sawmills.

Listen to Full Article

Te Hoiere, Kāinga Settlement, and Classical Naming

Māori named the river Te Hoiere after the ancestral waka of Matua Hautere, the founding ancestor of Ngāti Kuia who navigated across Cook Strait.1 The fertile river flats supported a succession of Māori communities for centuries, including the kāinga of Titi Raukawa situated at the junction of the Rai and Pelorus rivers.2 Traditional tracks criss-crossed the inland valleys, connecting coastal settlements with forest gathering areas and cultivated gardens until regional conflicts in the 1820s reduced the local population.3

European naming occurred in September 1838 following an exploratory visit by Lieutenant Phillip Chetwode in the Royal Navy brig HMS Pelorus.4 The vessel took its title from classical antiquity, commemorating Pelorus, the Carthaginian pilot under Hannibal who gave his name to Cape Pelorus in Sicily.5 The English name replaced Te Hoiere on colonial charts and became associated with the wider valley, sound, and river system.6

Bridle Tracks, Goldfield Traffic, and Bridge Generations

Following the establishment of Nelson in 1842, surveyors developed a traditional Māori trail across the Maungatapu Saddle into a bridle track completed in 1859.7 Known as the Moketap, this rugged route carried hundreds of prospectors during the 1864 Wakamarina gold rush and served as the main connection between Nelson and Blenheim.8 The initial timber crossing for pedestrians and livestock opened in 1860, followed by a formal replacement bridge in 1863 to accommodate growing traffic.9

A second bridge wide enough for wheeled coaches opened in 1885 when the road over the Whangamoa and Rai saddles was completed.10 William Pickering completed the first scheduled coach journey between Blenheim and Nelson across this route in April 1885.11 A destructive flood washed this structure away in 1904, requiring travellers to use wire ropes, cages, and river fords until a third timber bridge opened in 1905 and served the district for nearly half a century.12

Rising traffic volumes and heavier motor vehicles eventually necessitated a sturdier structure, leading to the construction of the present single-lane steel truss bridge in 1952.13 The crossing remains a vital transport link on State Highway 6, carrying travellers through the river gorge.14

Timber Milling and Forest Preservation

In 1881, William Brownlee established a commercial sawmill and bush tramway in the Pelorus Valley, initiating extensive clear-felling across the lowlands.15 At their peak, the Brownlee operations operated 80 kilometres of bush tramway and milled 189 million feet of native timber before logging ceased in 1915.16 Despite widespread deforestation, the pocket of bush at the river junction survived because the Crown had set aside the land in 1865 for a prospective township.17

Recognising the scenic and ecological value of this unlogged tract, Commissioner of Crown Lands W. H. Skinner advocated for its permanent preservation in 1912.18 Skinner identified the junction as the final remaining beauty spot along the coach road between Blenheim and Nelson.19 Acting on this recommendation, Governor-General Lord Islington officially proclaimed the site a scenic reserve on 13 October 1912.20

Additional acquisitions in 1922 and 1926 added valuable stands of virgin rimu to protect against fire risk, followed by 180 hectares released by the State Forest Service in the Upper Pelorus.21 The protected area forms a sanctuary of ancient podocarp species, including tōtara, mataī, rimu, and kahikatea.22

Administration, Camping, and Modern Heritage

To oversee the developing recreational grounds, the Pelorus Scenic Reserve Board was established in 1926 with joint administrative representation from Blenheim and Nelson.23 The board introduced a voluntary camping fee of one shilling per day in 1929 to fund camp facilities, fireplaces, and sanitary conveniences.24 A permanent complex containing a caretaker cottage, community room, store, post office, and tearooms opened in 1940 to serve the growing influx of holidaymakers.25

The facilities suffered a major setback on 15 March 1972 when a fire destroyed the tearooms, residence, store, and post office.26 The board secured funding to construct a replacement complex in 1977, allowing visitor hospitality to resume alongside the river.27 Today, the Department of Conservation manages the reserve, maintaining popular camping grounds, river swimming holes, and walking tracks through the ancient podocarp forest.28 The reserve remains an accessible historic destination celebrating over a century of conservation in the Pelorus Valley.29

Sources

  1. The Marlborough Express / Stuff, "Much joy had in 100 years at Pelorus", stuff.co.nz (Citations: 1, 4, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
  2. Department of Conservation Te Papa Atawhai, "Pelorus Bridge Scenic Reserve", doc.govt.nz (Citations: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 17, 20, 28)
  3. Pelorus Guardian and Miners' Advocate, "Origin of the Name 'Pelorus.'", paperspast.natlib.govt.nz (Citations: 5, 6)

Copyright, Disclaimers, and Acknowledgements

While every effort is made to maintain accurate and up-to-date citations, Goodwin & Associates/Tracing Marlborough accepts no responsibility for content changes, modifications, or removals on external third-party sources. If you identify inaccurate details, missing context, or information requiring correction, please contact us.

This site is currently in transition from being a draft site for the Marlborough Historical Society, to private ownership by Goodwin & Associates Limited. All media on this page should be assumed to be owned by or licensed to the Marlborough Historical Society/Marlborough Museum and Provincial Archives unless specific caption or disclaimer section notes state otherwise. These assets are being removed, but this will take some time. Goodwin & Associates does not claim ownership of any of these photo or video assets. Because unlabelled public domain material exists across our archives, please verify rights independently before reusing any image or asset. Additional details are available in our Terms and Conditions.