Te Waiharakeke and Early Harakeke Trade
The lower Wairau Valley from the Omaka River to the base of the Wither Hills was known to Māori as Te Waiharakeke, meaning the waters of flax.1,2 Tangata whenua harvested the abundant native harakeke (Phormium tenax) for weaving kete, fashioning durable ropes, and preparing traditional medicines.3,4,5 During the 1830s, coastal tribes traded dressed fibre for muskets and ammunition, utilising Kapiti Island as a major collection depot across Cook Strait where unprocessed bales fetched £17 to £24 per ton in London.6,7
The emergence of mechanised stripping technology in the 1870s revived commercial demand and transformed Marlborough into a principal flax export district.8,9 Captain Samuel Bowler constructed the province's first commercial mill at Marshlands in March 1870, initiating a widespread milling expansion across wetlands at Tuamarina and coastal valleys around Havelock.10,11,12
Industrial Processing and Milling Machinery
Harakeke processing required intensive manual labour and specialised mechanical systems to extract raw fibre from the harvested leaves.13 Cut leaves were transported to mills and fed through mechanical strippers where revolving metal beater drums stripped the green vegetative pulp against fixed metal plates.14,15 Workers situated beneath the machinery in the catching pit retrieved the slimy hanks of stripped fibre before washing them in running river water.16
The washed hanks were spread across open paddocks to bleach and dry in the sunlight for approximately ten days.17 Dry fibre subsequently passed through scutching machines to separate loose tow and polish the strands before hydraulic presses packed the finished material into export bales.18
Marlborough mills produced thousands of bales destined for overseas rope works, carpet factories, and woolsack manufacturing, reaching a regional output of 7,150 bales during the 1903 season.19,20
Philip Vercoe and the Taylor River Operation
Philip Vercoe arrived in New Zealand in February 1842, relocating to Nelson in 1862 before establishing industrial ventures in Marlborough.21,22 In 1888, Vercoe constructed a brickworks along the Taylor River and subsequently expanded the site in 1890 by erecting a large flax mill.23,24,25 Operating as the largest of the eleven flax mills in the Marlborough district, the complex utilised local waterpower alongside heavy steam machinery.26,27,28
The operation depended on vast stands of harakeke growing in surrounding river marshes and low-lying swamplands.29,30 However, continuous harvesting combined with extensive drainage schemes designed to convert wetland into pastoral farmland steadily eliminated the wild resource.31
Faced with depleted raw materials and outbreaks of yellow leaf disease affecting regional crops, Vercoe's mill ceased operations and was dismantled in the early 1920s.32,33,34
Archaeological Heritage and Reserve Status
Although the district experienced a brief wartime revival producing linen flax for aircraft fabric during the Second World War, the commercial harakeke trade permanently waned.35,36 Processing plants on Alabama Road in Blenheim and at Seddon exported substantial wartime quotas before post-war synthetic fibres replaced natural hemp.37
Today, the surviving concrete foundations of Vercoe's mill remain preserved on public reserve land beside the Taylor River walkway.38,39,40 Formally registered as a Historic Place Category 2 by Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga, the site provides physical evidence of Marlborough's early industrial processing era.41,42